Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Exploring Como (05/19/2012)

Derrick's former boss came into town recently, so they made plans for a golf outing.  Since they were going to be gone most of the day, Derrick dropped me off in the town of Como to do some exploring.  Como is the largest town on Lake Como, and has a good number of attractions for tourists such as myself (well sort of).

Once I got into Como my first stop was the Duomo (cathedral).  It seems like every major town in Italy has their own Duomo, but they're all so impressive that I don't mind checking them out again and again.  I thought the Como Duomo was especially impressive (just below St. Peter's at the Vatican), but seeing as I've only seen the Milan Duomo from the outside maybe my opinion is a bit flawed.  Anyway, you guys can judge for yourselves, below is the Duomo of Como.
The Duomo was made of white marble with marble statues all over the outside
This is actually the back side of the Duomo, but it's a better view of the structure itself than the shots I could get of the front.
Central gallery
All of these domes you see were decorated in gold.  I have an up close shot further down.
Central altar
I think this was the altar on the left (but it could have been the one on the right)
 

Altar on the right (I think)
Enormous organ.  They had two of these on either side of the central gallery.



Here's a shot of the ceiling just because I thought the blue color they used was pretty awesome.
Details of the domes in the ceiling
After the Duomo (and lunch) I set out to find the other buildings of historical importance.  Next on the list was the ex Casa del Fascio.  My book told me it was considered an rationalist masterpiece and the symbol of modern architecture, so there you go....
 

 Next was the Teatro Sociale...

And then the basilica of San Fedele.  I wasn't able to go into any of these buildings, so it was more of just finding them and taking a picture to document that I was there.  Unfortunately I don't know enough about architecture to admire the colonnades or appreciate the Renaissance style.

The tower below marked the end of the city walls.  Everything else I showed you was actually within a wall that runs the perimeter of the city.  Outside the wall they were having a giant street fair selling clothes, shoes, and knick knacks.  I had fun walking through it and checking out things, but I didn't actually make any purchases.  What Como is really known for is silk, which was not what they were selling at the street fair.

In the afternoon I was actually able to go into a building again.  I headed over to the public gardens were there was a museum called the Voltiano Temple.  Its a museum dedicated to Alessandro Volta who apparently was from Como and won the predecessor to the Noble Prize for his research in electricity and for coming up the volt unit of measure.
Voltiano Temple
 


Recreation of Volta's office.  On the wall you can't see was a picture of Volta meeting Napolean.
After the temple I took the walk leading from the public gardens along the water which goes past the Villas of Como and ends at the largest, the Villa Olmo.  I could do a better job of appreciating the Villas since they are just giant mansions on the lake.  Who doesn't like a nice mansion?
Monumento ai Caduti (War Memorial) on the path to the Villas
View of Villa Olmo from across the water.  Napolean was once a guest here.  Now it is owned by the Como Council and used for conventions and art exhibits.
Villa Olmo from the "front" (water facing side)
Villa Olmo from the "back" (street facing side)
Villa Gallia (owned by the Province of Como)
Villa La Rotunda.  Also owned by the Province of Como and used as their headquarters.
After visiting all the sights of Como, Derrick was still golfing (it was a walking 18 hole course), which gave me enough time to purchase a souvenir (a silk scarf of course!) and enjoy an apertivo (before dinner drink).  Don't worry the scarf will make an appearance in later posts, so you will just have to be patient until then.  

2 comments:

  1. Love all your adventures! Did you have any issues with the language barrier doing all of this? Or is your Italian already so good? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish our Italian was good enough to not have a language barrier! We have no trouble getting around when we're visiting tourists sites or at restaurants, but it gets pretty tricky when we try to do day to day activities like going to the bank or pharmacy.

    ReplyDelete