Thursday, June 7, 2012

Happenings About Town

Derrick and I decided to drive to Forte di Fuentes, which you'll remember I had so much troubling finding in Two Forts & A Tower.  It turned out to be painfully close to where I had reached on my unsuccessful hike.  Regardless, we had fun exploring it together and Derrick is always a fan of any type of ruins.
The large circle behind us is the fake entrance to the fort.  Apparently they had to build a fake entrance to make it look symmetrical.







These garage like areas were actually stations for cannons as they reused the fort during WWI.
This is me putting on my battle face.
They still flew the Italian flag at the top of the remains of the fort.  You can see these flag flying from Derrick's office. 



The remains of the fort's Chapel.
This structure was the officers's quarters.
 


Another fun event for us happened when my uncle came into town with his band the Yellowjackets to perform at a jazz club in Milan.  Derrick had never heard them play, and I probably hadn't been to one of their concerts in 10 years.  My Uncle was nice enough to put us on the guest list at the club, and we were able to enjoy a very fun evening in the city.  The band really put on a fabulous show, though they put so much energy into the concert I wondered how they'd have the stamina for a second performance.  They performed 2 shows a night (one at 9PM and one at 11PM) for three nights in a row!  Their fans in Milan were so excited to have them there.  Afterwards everyone stuck around wanting to talk to the band, take pictures, and get autographs.  We stuck around to get a picture too =-)

My Uncle's the one rocking out on the saxophone.  Sorry for the picture quality, these were covert shots taken on Derrick's iphone so they wouldn't disturb people with a camera flash.
Now he's playing what I think he called a "synthesized instrument"
Thanks for an awesome performance Yellowjackets!

No comments:

Post a Comment