Monday, May 7, 2012

Il Gabbiano & Sunburns (05/03/2012)

Wednesday was nice in the morning, but Thursday was the first full day of sun we'd had (and have had since).  To celebrate I took a walk towards the Abbazia, but instead of going straight through all the entrance gates I took a left down the hill following a sign that pointed towards Il Gabbiano.


It was basically a straight downhill walk while avoiding quite a bit of horse poop.  I never saw these horses which were pooping on the road, but I did run into these guys on my way.


This guy kept coming over and mooing at me.  I'm not sure if he thought I had food or was just trying to scare me off.
At the bottom of the hill, past the cows and the horse poop, I discovered Il Gabbiano.  I have not figured out what this place is used for yet, but I don't think its a hotel.  They were doing construction on it when I first walked up, but later in the afternoon a lot of people were going in and shaking hands wedding style.  Maybe its just an old villa that can still be used for special events... on Thursday afternoons...



After visiting Il Gabbiano, to continue my celebration of the sunny weather I went and read in some beach chairs the hotel had out on the lawn.  The result was this...
Luckily the burned faded overnight, but the lovely watch tan lines have remained.
That night since it was still clear, Derrick and I went into Colico for dinner and were able to walk around the lake a little bit.  As you can see I'm wearing a scarf like a proper Italian.

And here's a pic of one of the various "critters" in Derrick's seafood spaghetti.  I'll work on getting you guys a picture of this dish, because both Derrick and I have ordered it at separate restaurants and it involves a plate of spaghetti covered in shrimp, crawfish, and mussels (still all in their shells) covered in tomato sauce.  Essentially you get the table clothe, napkins, and yourself very messy trying to peel shrimp and crawfish that are covered in tomato sauce.  It also have a bunch of other sea creatures in it, including this little guy (squid? octopus? sea hedgehog?)

I've got a few shots from this weekend I'll post for you guys as well, unfortunately the camera died on Saturday so I don't have that many pictures.  BUT.... get excited, because on Monday I drive the car all by myself = )

2 comments:

  1. Ew! And complicated! That's why I live in America, where all the gross pealing food comes in a nice can and you don't have to touch it!
    Also CUTE scarf!

    ReplyDelete