Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Taming the Beast (05/07/2012)

On Monday I faced my fears and took the car into town by myself.  I needed to drop Derrick off at work in the morning, so that I could have the car during the day.  The biggest challenge was after dropping Derrick off, I had to make it up the switchback hill to the hotel in Olgiasca.

The menace!
Once I made it back to the hotel safely, it was a lot easier going back down the hill to get into town later in the day.  If you look closely below you can see me waving in victory once I made it to Colico. 
Success!
My much deserved reward for making it into town.
It was actually one of the warmest days we've had so far, so I walked over to the beach area in Colico to watch the people doing kite surfing.  They basically have a large kite attached to a wakeboard, which they use to propel them across the water even doing jumps, flips, and other tricks. 

The little spec in the bottom left corner is the surfer.
View of the kite as someone gets ready to launch themselves from the shore
Zoom in on one of the kite surfers being dragged by his kite.
The windsurfers were out as well, but their tricks were not as dramatic as the kite surfers. 
The Colico Beach.  There's a lot more grass and a lot less sand than I'm used to, but the grass was soft without ants or sticker burrs so it was actually quite nice.
Here's a view of the boardwalk area of Colico.  A little different than the boardwalk in Kemah.
More boardwalk views.
The line of trees marks the walking path that goes along the lake.
Swan swimming in the little harbor on the Colico boardwalk.  It was actually really big.  Derrick said he thought the swan was sizing him up for a fight.
Okay so for those of you who were disappointed that I didn't get any pictures of the monks/priests at the Abbazia di Piona, this one's for you.  I didn't get a picture of a monk, but check out the nun!

Nun = )

2 comments:

  1. Cute nun!! I feel like you're living in some dream world over there...so beautiful :) I'm proud of you learning to drive a stick shift...AND, yes, the hills are the hardest so if you can conquer that, you're golden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to drive successfully! Proud! And way to make a Kemah reference! lol
    Glad you made a blog update one of your readers (Nana!) was requesting an update the other day.

    ReplyDelete